Wednesday, September 23, 2015

shanty house living

When I was young at the age of 9 we moved from the bush of Dorrigo to the steel town of Wollongong. I was 9 at the time and made friends with the shanty people who lived on the site of Old Bulli mine. These people treated me well and they had many stories to tell. They had nothing but each other which is probably more than I have these days.
The buildings were made from what ever was at hand, The mine used 2"x 2" timber for erecting stopping for air flow. These were the main construction materials and corrugated iron bratice were used for the walls. The older houses were iron because they were renovated as time went on. Fires were lit at night for heating and cooking, these were coal started with timber wedges another product used in the mines.  The beds were sacks that the horse feed came in and were strung between pit props fashioned using bow saws also supplied by the mine bales of hay were used as floor coverings. These people had no health care or any money as they were too proud to ask for help. People say to me what if,I loose everything. Who cares because if I have nothing I just might be better off. Things more than three own you as I learnt many years later from Buddhist teachings.
I have over the years not had money in excess but just enough and not wanting the stuff because money creates problems. I have a friend who has lost all his savings by lending it to family members and finally now has none to speak of and he said if feels better because there is zero stress and he said he is glad.
So to all the people who work at removing money from your wallet when you get older you too will experience this and have all that you have worked for taken away from you by the next generation and let me also inform you they will be worse than they are today.

No comments: